Years of sun exposure can prematurely age your skin and lead to brown spots and other pigmentation disorders. At Institute of Aesthetic Surgery, Dr. Richard Gregory and our medical team can perform laser treatments that restore natural skin color and texture.
Located in Celebration, Florida, The Institute of Aesthetic Surgery serves the Orlando area and offers both cosmetic treatments and surgical procedures. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and find out if laser treatment can eliminate the dark spots on your skin.
What are Pigmentation Disorders?
When exposed areas of the skin absorb the sun’s harmful rays for a prolonged period without protective clothing or sunscreen, it can overstimulate pigmentation production in the skin. This can produce brown spots or blotches on the skin, also referred to as hyperpigmentation or Dyschromia.
Hyperpigmentation can also be caused by the natural aging process and by hormonal imbalance. Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) lasers, in combination with other laser treatments, have been proven to treat brown spots and restore the skin to a natural, evenly toned state.
What is IPL Treatment?
Although cleansing, exfoliating, and other alternative treatments can lighten hyperpigmentation that already exists, they cannot penetrate far enough below the skin surface to stop the production of melatonin at the source.
IPL laser treatments involve a broad spectrum of light that is transmitted in pulses directly onto the skin. The wavelengths can be changed to fit various skin types. The laser light is then absorbed by the body tissues, damaging dark lesions that are then removed by the body and replaced by fresh, new skin.
The extent of treatment depends on the size of the area being treated, and multiple treatments are usually necessary to effectively treat darkened areas. An individualized treatment plan will be created for you during your consultation at The Institute of Aesthetic Surgery.
What are the Benefits of Laser Treatment for Brown Spots?
Although several treatments exist that promise similar results, choosing laser treatment has multiple benefits:
- Laser treatment is a relatively painless procedure
- Rather than simply lighten dark spots on the skin, laser treatment more effectively penetrates the skin and treats hyperpigmentation at a cellular level
- While alternative treatments may require routine maintenance, laser treatment only requires follow-up appointments one or two times a year after dark spots have been removed.
- This treatment requires no time, allowing patients to resume normal activities immediately.
- Besides a sunburned or flushed appearance for a short while after treatment, laser treatment has no major side effects.
Contact The Institute of Aesthetic Surgery today to schedule a consultation and find out what laser treatment can do for your hyperpigmentation.